For those of you based in Ireland or the UK, you might know that the most recent season of The Apprentice, with the formidable Lord Sugar has recently ended, with Dr.Leah claiming the coveted title of overall winner.
I've been a big fan of the programme for a long time now and watch with awe each week as they make rookie management mistakes, undertake yet another cat fat and compete to win the weekly task as set out by Lord Sugar and his team. I'm always amazed how competitive everyone becomes, how bitchy the women can get and how cool, calm and collected Karen and Nick (Lord Sugars assistants and spys) remain.
However in saying that, the one thing I am always drawn to year after year is the fashion attire (read: work clothing) chosen by the female candidates. Yes, fitted suits highlighting a womens curves are lovely to look at and particularly on those who are slim, however ladies can we just get real for a teeny tiny nano second here? Can we just get real on those heels?
Let me say, I am a lover of heels. I have a large collection in my spare room and I dig them out for many an occassion (and always with a pair of foldable flats in my bag) and I tot around in them with pride. By the end of the night after dancing the night away at what ever event has taken my fancy, you will see me with my foldable flats on and probably a bag of chips in one hand too. Yes, my outfit now looks pretty crap without my glorious heels, but I'm a woman who knows how much pain she can handle.
As for super high heels in work? No thanks! As much I'd love to complete my work suit with a pair of six inch skyscrapers, we ladies (who live in the real working world) know that this is an impossible feat. If you are someone who has a full time job and goes from meeting to meeting, as I often do, wearing heels of this nature is no mean task. They are impractical and will leave you in pain in a matter of minutes. Yes, they look stunning with your suit and no doubt you feel more impowered, but really Apprentice ladies, who are we trying to kid here? I've worked in a number of positions where I've worn heels, but these were desk bound jobs were my only excerise consisted of buying a round of coffeee or popping down to the basement to compelte some photocopying.
After my first day in my current position (in heels!), I was in agony. This was no heel wearing job and I promptly invested in wearing comfy flats and continue to do so, five years on!
I wonder if there are reels of footage of said particpants running around in heels and switching to flats as soon as the pain becomes unbearable? Have some of them resorted to taking their shoes off and working sans shoes if only for a moment of relief? If I saw those shots I might then feel that I could relate to them a tad more and my evenings spent shouting "How are they running around London in those fecking heels?" may become a thing of the past?
My flat shoes and I live in hope!

No comments:
Post a Comment